Monday, February 25, 2008

Sleeping With the Enemy


Yes, I am sleeping with the enemy. She is a 22 lb. lemon beagle
we call "Dixie." We rescued this poor dog from a neglect situation
last summer. She was hit by a car and only half of her weight. She
was left out on a tie out stake so much so that we had to sign an
agreement that we would never leave her tied up.
So, I thought I was doing a wonderful thing by giving this little
girl a happy home. One with three children to dote on her. A
cat to run about with her and a mom that is home with her all
day so she doesn't have to be kenneled.
I've given her natural food, dog treats, special bones, even a
sweater for these cold days. So how does she return her love
for me. Well.....she throws up quite frequently on my new
carpet, she pees on the old carpet (which is only 3 yrs old), she poops on
any carpet she sees fit, she eats my make-up and brushes that
I have spent a good penny on, she runs out the door as soon as it's open,
she eats out of garbage cans, steals food from my children's hands,
and last night was the final straw-she ate my underwear!!!!
I truly know that I am not a dog person. I am a cat person.
Probably because my cat has never eaten my underwear or make-up.
He has never had one accident since we rescued him from the pound.
So, what do I do? She seems untrainable. My family-who are dog people
can't even stand her. She is the MOST neurotic animal known to man.
Help! I am sleeping with the enemy and don't let her fool you with those
sad puppy dog eyes.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Awe..I just can't get over those eyes though!

Miss you!

Kim said...

How can you say no to that face though? You just can't!!!

You use Melaleuca? So do I! Love it!!!!!
www.themomteam.com/laesun

April said...

Okay...Kim has obviously never met Dixie! I AM AN ANIMAL LOVER and I don't love or even like Dixie and I have no idea how you have put up with her since July! Seriously, she needs a new home. You need a normal dog if you even need a dog, which I am not sure you do need a dog. Stick to cats...they are simple and loveable.

soccer mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elizabeth embracing life said...

Coming from the mother of a Beagle...ACK!!! People new me by "oh you are the one wiht the beagle". She terrorized my life for a year and that was without peeing or pooping on carpets. We had to get rid of her and you know the kids were never sad about it. No sympathy for a dog that does not appreciate it's adoptive mama!!

Anonymous said...

She certainly is cute!! I'm a cat person, too. But since my hubby is allergic to both cats and dogs, neither are an option. We have two rambunctious boys instead!!

Thank you for your comment about my son's peanut allergy. While I am thrilled the blood work came back with a negative, I'm still an extremely cautious mommy. I will not expose him to peanuts until we are safely in the doctor's office at the next appointment. And, for the record, the doctor's office is in a hospital. While I don't want to sound like my faith is wavering in God answering prayers, I am still very realistic. I will still carry the epi pen until I know for absolute sure that horrible allergy is gone.

I know you know how scary it is to have a child with life threatening allergies. Until you've lived through it, you really can't understand. It's great we parents watch out for each other. You can never be too careful.

Thanks again. Had I not been a paranoid mommy by nature anyway, I might have not been aware of how this may not truly be over. But God has indeed healed him of his milk allergy we now know for sure. For that, I am so grateful.

Have a wonderful day!! It was nice to meet you!!

Angela said...

Bye, Dixie!

Just my humble opinion ;)

Unknown said...

Once you've gotten her all back on the road to wholeness - please find a good home that desperately wants a beagle. Life's too short to worry about having a dog you just don't really feel is right for you or your family. You're doing a marvelous thing caring for it!