Thursday, July 3, 2008

Fruits of my Labor

Every year when my garden gets tilled I walk through the dirt bare foot and imagine what it will look like by the end of the season. I plan my rows and decide how many tomatoes to put in and think about where to plant my sunflowers. Each year is a new adventure and this is something that I truly love to do.
It starts out looking like this.

Here is my garden last week. Everything is growing nicely, even the weeds which I can't seem to stay on top of. However the plants are looking great and I'm truly thrilled.
Cucumbers, Okra, Kohlrabi, onions, beets, carrots, green beans, cilantro, red peppers, tomatoes, and sunflowers make up my bounty this year. I have always planted pumpkins and squash but decided to put in more cucumbers instead this year. I'll probably miss them though.

Cilantro is the new crop I grew this year. I wasn't sure how it would go but I am so happy with my little row. It's so fun to pull off a handful and throw in my cooking. Yum!
Tonight we got to eat our first vegetables, beets. They were delicious, 100% organic, and cost me $1.00 in a seed packet to start. Very economical considering the price of groceries lately.
This hobby has been a gift from God. He gives me such peace and time spent alone with him when I am out tilling, digging, planting, and reaping the harvest. I helped my parents put their gardens in growing up and knew that digging in the dirt truly made me happy. Thanking God today for the desires he has given me to see firsthand his marvelous creations.

8 comments:

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Your garden looks great...and yummy! What a great way to save on $ these days. I would like to start one next year, which will be a learning experience. :)
Have a great day!

Honeybee said...

your garden looks delicious! you definitely got mom's green thumb..i'm still wondering if I'll ever get it.

Kate said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! Looks like a wonderful, peaceful place to spend time.

Katy said...

your garden looks fantastic!!!! :)

Shelly said...

I'm impressed! You certainly have a green thumb! We also garden every year but ours isn't nearly as big as yours. My favs to grow are cukes and tomatoes. . .

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Your prims are finished! Just go to my etsy shop and I have them both listed under custom made for FaithHopeLove. I didn't know if you had a etsy name yet. You will need one in order to purchase them. You will need to click "purchase" for both of them. Do not pay at that time. Etsy will notify me and I will send you an invoice with the total including shipping. You can pay through pay pal which is safe and easy or with a money order. I hope you like them! I had fun making your sign! Have a great night!

Anonymous said...

you are so talented! I love it!

Unknown said...

Please tell me you don't make your own clothes, too.... Not that I would be jealous or anything. Not really. Not too much....

It's beautiful, FHL Mama!