Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sorry if this is too much information

So, a couple of weeks ago we decided to start teaching
Ian to wipe his little bum after toileting. He is starting
kindergarten in the fall and it's time he wiped his own
hiney.

With that being said, he was very resistant and
did not do such a great job. Apparently he missed a little
and his little bum got itchy. Naturally that would happen
the first couple of times. I noticed him scratching his
hiney a lot one day and took care of things. The next day
the itching continued and a red dot appeared on his little
bum. I made sure to clean him as I thought this was the
trouble. The next day a huge itchy rash covered his
little bum. Not sure what was happening I put anti-
itch cream on it and it helped. The next 3 days the
rash got worse and it was moving. His little bum was
raw and irritated and after looking up every kind of
skin rash on the internet could not figure it out.

I took him in last week to the doctor and he was
diagnosed with a STAPH infection. Oh boy. Did not
see that coming when we decided it was time for him
to wipe his own little bum. So, a round of antibiotics and
an antibiotic cream, bleach to the entire house, and
cleaning of all the bedding was what I spent half
of my last week doing. Sounds like fun doesn't it?

2 comments:

Beth E. said...

Oh. My. Gosh!!! Poor little guy! You know he's never gonna want to wipe himself anymore, don't you? He's just going to learn to hold it at school, then come home and let YOU take care of him. Can't say that I blame him, either! Bless his little heart...

Staph infections are so dangerous. I hope he's feeling much better and that you have recovered from having to disinfect your entire house...Bless YOUR little heart, too!

Blessings...

Shelly said...

Wait, what?? He got a staph infection from leaving poop on his butt?? Crazy! Poor little guy! I just convinced Benji to learn the same thing, with the same reasoning about the Kindergarten in the fall...He hates doing it because he says he gets poop all over his hands!! Good thing he's a good hand-washer!