Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Sky is Falling!


O.K. so the sky is not actually falling. It's just my ceiling paint!

I woke up with a great idea today. I thought "I am going to paint my ceiling." I already had plans to paint my kitchen and since we have not painted any ceilings since we have lived here in 7 years I thought it was overdue. However, my attempts were in vain when the ceiling that I painting started bubbling up and fell down in front of my bulging eyes. I could not believe what I was seeing.

So, while hubby was working, kids are playing, I decided to scrape the entire ceiling of it's paint.
Since I had nothing better to do with my entire day.

Here I am scraping away. What a thankless job this is. I am sooooo sore!


My cat decided to help. Wasn't that nice of him?


Oh and did I tell you how incredibly MESSY this is.
Four hours of scraping and 4 hours of cleaning.

The almost finished product. Here is how it looks without the
texture. The walls are going to get primed and painted also when
I can pick my arm back up. Oof!
Any suggestions for a new color?
I have oak wooden floors, white counter tops and appliances. My
cabinets are a hideous 80's color as you can see above. I have the
grape vine/wine theme going on. I would love to do some kind of a
red/burnt color. My dishes have a butter yellow
and green with a red accent. Would that look horrible? I need help!

11 comments:

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Well that looks fun...I bet you're sore! I think a burgundy or a red would look great in your kitchen. But red is my favorite color and I would paint every red if I could. :) Can't wait to see it finished!

Shelly said...

Oh, girl! I feel your pain...that happened to us in our living room. Just as you did, my husband and I had to scrape off every single inch of the ceiling. Talk about misery! I went straight to my chiropractor the next day.
I think you should paint you cabinets white or cream and treat yourself to new hardware! And yes, a rich red would be lovely- my kitchen is deep red and I have a black and white floor.
Have fun! Can't wait to see the "after" post!

April said...

you are funny!

I think red would be great!

Anonymous said...

oh my...what a job! no ideas on colors since i'm horrible with that sort of thing...

April said...

Hey! We are looking at some townhomes tomorrow with Peggy from 9:30 until about 12. If you want to tag along that would be great but if you are busy, that's alright. Maybe when we look at it for the second time if we are really interested in something. Otherwise, want to do something in the afternoon or evening? It is supposed to be a BEAUTIFUL weekend! Even if we don't "DO" anything, we will stop over and visit if you guys are around since we will be in town.

soccer mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Beth said...

Thanks so much for the prayers.

My sis in law txt me yesterday and said his count was up to 42,000. It needs to be around 200,000 by Monday so they can remove his spleen.

I will keep you posted. He is only 47 years old.

Shelly said...

You asked about our living room ceiling...Our house is over 150 years old, so things were a bit different for us.

We have plaster on the ceiling, not drywall (as it looked in your picture), but we did end up priming it after we scraped. Then, because of all the marks left from the scraping, we mixed some ceiling paint with watered down drywall mud and rolled it on with a high-nap (really thick and fuzzy) roller to give some subtle texture and hide the scrape marks.

If it makes you feel any better, we've been remodeling this house ourselves for the past 8 or so years. We spent the entirety of last summer gutting and completely remodeling our kitchen (with three kids!!!!) It was total misery, but totally worth it.

I'll go right now and post some before and after pics of our kitchen on my blog for you to look at.

elizabeth embracing life said...

I find that mixing hues of green and red often bring people into the Christmas season year round. Also with oak, it's going to make your lovely cabinets not so lovely. I think I soft hue of yellow, simular to your dishes would soften some of the dating your kitchen has. You have nice cabinets, the green walls are really nice and then a lighter color will add brightness and an open feeling. (did I mention I have been an interior designer for over 15 years)But that all goes out the window when you think soft hue of yellow...icky. BTWay I applaud you for sticking with this project. If my ceiling started falling down I might have stole the neighbors For Sale sign.

Unknown said...

You just always make me smile!!!

:)

Honeybee said...

Ooo fun...a project! What color did you decide on? How long did it take you to be able to lift your arm?