Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Thankful

First of all, thank you from the bottom of my heart to all
that prayed for my father in law. He came home a few
days after surgery and is doing o.k. He is quite bummed
that the surgery did not work and that he will have to
have another. This hospital stay seems to have taken a
toll on him also. He is not springing back as quickly as he
would have liked. He had trouble talking and expressing
himself after surgery. All testing came out fine so he just
has to have therapy to help out. I have been taking care
of his household quite a bit since he came home. A few
months ago I prayed for God to show me how I can be
more Christlike in my every day. I see this care taking
as an opportunity to serve the way Jesus served. I just
wish my human side didn't feel the exhaustion and at
times I have found myself grumbling.
How humbling that has been.

Another sobering reality of the last few weeks is the
frailty of life. My grandfather has been very ill. He has
come from many states away to live in my parents
house. Hopefully soon his biopsies will come in. I'm
anxious to know what is causing this wonderful man
to be so sick. His wife, my grandmother, is the
sweet lady that passed away in November. I am deeply
sad for him losing his wife and facing this right now.
However, I got to spend the day with him today and
listen to his heart. He told me that he was never scared
during his hospital stays. He has great comfort in
knowing where he is going after he leaves this earth.
He has such enormous faith. I will treasure the
talks we had today forever.

Tonight I was reading to my children. They each have their
own bedtime devotion books that my mom gave them for
Easter. Each book fits each child so well. It has been such
an incredible blessing to read these to them. After reading
their devotions they can read in their bed on their own.
Mara picked up a chapter book that Autumn just read. It's
a little above her reading level but it has a picture of a
horse on the front and I assumed that was the reason
she wanted to read it. (She loves all things with horses)
I opened the front cover and found this letter written to
her. Click on into enlarge it. It is incredibly sweet.


My garden has been planted, my children are all
well, my hubby is truly my bestest friend, and
summer is almost here. I am thankful.

"I have loved you with an everlasting love;
I have drawn you with loving-kindness."
Jeremiah 31:3

10 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

Life is very fragile. I think it's a blessing that you have such a close family to love and pray over each other. I love your last part...summer is almost here.

mrs boo radley said...

Oh my, Autumn's letter to Mara gave me chills and almost made me cry! So beautiful.

Prayers for you, friend...

Beth E. said...

I'm praying for your father-in-law and your grandfather. My goodness, your family sure has been dealing with difficult times! Praying for you, too! :o)

Autumn's letter to Mara was so sweet! What a thoughtful, caring sister she is.

Blessings to you!
Beth

Hilary said...

Bless your sweet and giving heart.
I am praying for your FIL and your grandfather. I'm still praying for you that you get the rest you need..physically and emotionally!
Blessings to you....

Unknown said...

Beautiful! As you are! The letter is very special as Autumn is, I love you all very much!

Honeybee said...

she is such a sweetheart!

Shelly said...

What a sweet note in that book! Something to treasure always.

What a wonderful place to be in right now; to be seeing with His eyes the fraility of life and at the same time to be able to cherish it and soak it up.

I'll continue to pray for you.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I will continue to keep your FIL and grandpa in my prayers. Hang in there, my dear friend.

And Autumn's letter is so sweet. I hope and pray that my boys will be so close as they grow up together. Have a great weekend.

Shelly said...

Just checking in...how are things?

April said...

Hey you!!! Long time no post!!! POST, POST, POST!!!