Monday, May 12, 2008

Isn't She Lovely?


This is my mom and I think she is one the loveliest ladies
I know. This special lady raised three girls into special women.
My sisters and I were the recipients of her complete devotion
and dedication. My mom was the only woman pregnant
while in college and earned her nursing degree when I was 2
years old. My dad worked two jobs to help put her through college.
They both worked so very hard. She put off her nursing until we
were older so she could stay home with her children while being
a daycare provider. It takes a wonderful mother to put herself on
hold to provide for the emotional, physical, and spiritual needs of her children.
She did this and so much more for us. She is my mentor, my friend, and
a dear God send. I thank the Lord above when I think of how much she
means to me.

I read this from the book Little Women (I got my name from this book) and think these words so wisely written express how my mom feels.

'Mother, do you have "plans," as Mrs. Moffat said?' asked Meg, bashfully.
'Yes, my dear, I have a great many; all mothers do, but mine differ somewhat from Mrs. Moffat's, I suspect. ...
'I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good; to be admired, loved, and respected; to have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send. To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman; and I sincerely hope my girls may know this beautiful experience.
It is natural to think of it, Meg; right to hope and wait for it, and wise to prepare for it; so that, when the happy time comes, you may feel ready for the duties, and worthy of the joy.
My dear girls, I am ambitious for you, but not to have you make a dash in the world-marry rich men merely because they are rich, or have splendid houses, which are not homes because love is wanting. Money is a needful and precious thing-and, when well used, a noble thing-but I never want you to think of it as the first or only prize to strive for.
I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace.
'One thing remember, my girls; mother is always ready to be your confidante, father to be your friend; and both of us trust and hope that our daughters, whether married or single, will be the pride and comfort of our lives.'
- Louisa May Alcott

Love you mom-today, tomorrow, always.

5 comments:

Kindra-At Home With K said...

What a lovely post about your mom! We are sure lucky to have such special moms!! Hope you had a wonderful mother's day!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love Little Women. I used to have all the dolls as a girl. Of course, they all fell apart and got yucky - as I'm old! Hah!
Grace

elizabeth embracing life said...

This is very sweet. Thanks for sharing from Little Women. My daughter and I use watch that at least once a year for years, but not so much the past few...I will have to dig it out and watch it now that she is older.

Amy said...

She is lovely.
It's amazing how much you realize about your own mom, after you become a mom.

Hey, let me know how Autumn's field trip goes... thinking about the sack lunches has me worried about her too!
Ahh, what we have to deal with. Consider it daily work outs for our MINDS. ;)

Honeybee said...

She's the best!