Monday, May 5, 2008

Peanuts anyone?

Mara is passed out on the couch right now. It's supper time and she will probably sleep through it. Why is this news worthy? Well, today at school they had a tree planting ceremony. I took Mara, Ian, and a neighbor girl and met Autumn there since she was still in school. The students planted 32 trees by participating in a tree trust foundation and it was quite fun. The not so fun part was when they gave dirt and worms for the kids to eat. (gummy worms and crushed oreos)
They enjoyed the eating part but discovered by accident that Mara was exposed to peanuts in this tasty treat. Autumn was given an alternate treat and upon meeting her realized that Mara was munching away on something she is quite allergic to. Great! No car (we walked to the school), no purse, no EPI-PEN. Luckily, we were at school and they have her emergency meds in the nurses office. Mara didn't develop any breathing difficulties thank goodness but she started with hives in and around her mouth. A little quick dissolving strip of Benadryl and she seemed fine. However, she has passed out as a result from the meds. I am so thankful that it wasn't any worse than it could have been. She didn't stop breathing and I didn't have to administer her epi-pen. Benadryl did the trick. I don't think this will ever get easier. It seems like just when you are feeling comfortable and like things won't happen (because you have made every effort to keep her safe) wham! something like this slams you back into reality. If you have a child with a severe allergy you know what I mean. The reality of having not only one child with a life threatening allergy, but two is sometimes daunting. I guess I can be thankful that it's not three, right?

12 comments:

Amy said...

I do know what you mean, I do! (unfortunately).
Well, THANK GOD she's okay. Thank God for antihistamines!!

soccer mama said...

Oh, poor thing! That is no fun! We still have not given Rilynn (who will be 3 in July) peanuts or shellfish in hopes that she will not become allergic. I am glad that she is ok. Have a great week!

Lakeville Vertical said...

Ah yes, shellfish. My hubby is allergic to that also. Something we stay away from in this house. I like to order shrimp when we go out though.

April said...

Oh my gosh!

I am so enraged right now!

I want to email the school and chew them out for putting my niece's life in danger and for causing her the pain of the sores in her mouth and the scare I am sure she felt!

Seriously, I want to hurt someone right now...is that weird? I am not psycho or anything but I feel soooooo angry at the stupidity!

EVERYONE knows that schools are all peanut free, or pretty much close to that. Actually at my new school, I saw signs up about being peanut free. Come to my school Autumn and Mara, I will protect you when Mommy isn't there.

April said...

I hope I didn't sound too whatever in my comment, but I feel as those they are my children since I have none and they are my nieces and my nephew.

Amanda said...

Hello! First, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! I've seen your "flower" on MCK Mama's blog and Hilary's blog many times, soa I'm really glad you decided to stop by and say hi!

I'm sorry you had such a scare with your daughter today. How upsetting! I haven't read the history, but it sounds like two of your kids have severe allergies and can NOT imagine how scary that must be.

Just curious...How old were they when they first started showing signs of severe allergies? I'm a little worried about my 2 year old. She tends to show "signs" of allergic reactions and tendencies to wheezing when sick, but we've never had a major "scare" yet.

I'm so glad your daughter is doing okay, but still, what a rough day for her (and YOU!)!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through allergies with 2 children...even hubby. I would never wish that on anyone. Hope your daughter is back on her feet and a skip in her step!

Becky said...

wow..that almost made me cry. i'm really glad she is okay.

have a great wednesday!

becky

Honeybee said...

I am just reading this blog for the first time and I am also very enraged..like my lil sis! You should definitely raise H*LL with the school. Each and every time she is exposed to something like this it will just make the next allergic reaction even more severe. There shouldn't be anything even resembling a nut in that school...i mean c'mon lets get with the times! There are so many kids with peanut allergies nowadays! I'm so glad she is okay. Poor little Thing! Give her a big hug and kiss from her aunty Mel.

Faithful Froggers said...

I am behind on reading blogs this week so I just caught up on the last several entries!

First - how scary about the peanut incident! Thank goodness all is okay and I can only imagine how much you worry about your girls!

Second - LOVED the slumber party! Can we come to the next one?! :)

Third - Your Mother's Day photo was just perfect and I loved the quote!

Hope Mara is doing better and you all have a great week!

elizabeth embracing life said...

Oh dear, that is terrible. I am glad that was caught in time. I have two kids including myself that allergic to the presevative used on fruit and vegies. I am always good at watching, but Ethan ate strawberries at a friend's house this past Sunday and had been vomitting and bad headache up until this morning. It's no fun, and I pray he is as good as Emily has been since she was five watching what she eats.

April said...

It's THURSDAY! I need another post!!!

Hey by the way, has your family seen Enchanted? IT IS SOOOOOO CUTE and if they haven't, we need to watch it this weekend. I have it from Netflix. I know the girls would LOVE it and I think Ian would think it is funny! Plus, adults enjoy it too. Lorenzo liked it and I did...obviously!

POST...POST...POST