
Mark 1:31a
"So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up."
Recently I have struggled with how to love my dad.
My dad is an alcoholic. It's an ugly word but an even
uglier reality. For all of my remembering life he has
struggled with addiction and the last few years have
become an outright struggle for me to love him.
My dad is a great guy-when he is sober. My dad loves
his family like no other-when he is sober. My dad
is a really funny guy-when he is sober. That is the
twist though. The sober truth is that I struggle with
the simple command to love one another. I struggle
with the most simple of tasks and that is to love my
dad unconditionally just like my heavenly father
loves me. This verse means so much to me because I
have cried for Jesus to hold my hand and help me.
Help me love like he has commanded. Help me to see
my dad as human with many faults. Help me to see that
I am not perfect and that I am no better than my dad
if I cannot love him.
Jesus went to me, held my hand, and helped me up. He
helped my out of my anger, my need for justice, my desire
to continue my bitter thoughts. He continues to help me out
of my pit and allows me to love my dad one day at a time.
I am thankful. I am blessed. He is sovereign.
To hear what others have to say on this wonderful piece of scripture
head over to my dear friend's blog. She is hosting "Tuesdays in Other Words"
at http://www.belovedmama.blogspot.com/.

™

10 comments:
I'm so glad you have your heavenly Father there to lift you up and help when you need it.
His Grace is sufficient for all our needs.
I'm sorry for your struggles with your dad, I will pray!
I am sure this was a difficult post for you to write. I am so glad that you are given the strength to love your dad one day at a time. I know it must be difficult...
Thank you for the advise for allergy testing. Kellon is feeling better after taking his meds. Don't know if it's a coincidence or what. Very frustrating. And I know you understand. :(
So funny about your daughters feet art. :) I have those days too!
I hope your week is going great so far! Thank you for your friendship!
Thank you so much for participating this week! I was so excited to see your name :o) I have also struggled with the same thing and it was good reading your words!
Thanks for sharing your heart, may you be blessed.
Beautiful testimony of our Lord's healing touch. Thanks for sharing your heart.
Oh...what a tough reality. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I've gone through the same thing...and unfortunately I no longer have any sort of relationship/connection with my dad because of his alcoholism. (IT'S A LONG STORY...DIDN'T JUST COME ABOUT WITHOUT LOTS OF COUNSELING, TEARS, PRAYER, ETC.) He's never even met my son. It's SO hard to see our dad's through the eyes of Jesus. Wish I had some words of wisdom to share with you, but I just don't. It's been a tough road for me too. But luckily our God is a God of MIRACLES! So keep believing for that!
Hello, my SWEET Friend! Gosh, I've missed so much... I don't know where to start. Oh, I DO KNOW.. let's start with YOU!
I'm SO SORRY that you're dealing with those issues with your Daddy. I know it's hard to feel pulled in so many directions with him. My dad isn't an alcoholic, but he was a FAR CRY from anything and EVERYTHING I imagined a daddy to be. Our dad left our mom more times than I can count. (Always with or for another woman) He was loud and sometimes mean, and my sister and I were scared to death of him. Our parents have BOTH cheated on each other and have given us anything but "godly examples" to follow. I DO LOVE them BOTH and have a "good" relationship with them.. I've forgiven them, and after living my own "sin filled" lifestyle, their lives have made me even MORE motivated to give our boys EVERYTHING (spiritually) that we never had as children. I'll pray with you that your daddy will FALL IN LOVE with JESUS! HE'S the only ONE that will EVER make a TRUE difference in your dad.
Now, You've been so sweet to check in on me... I've hated to be "offline" so much recently... but I was doing my best to deal with life. I think now that we've got another holiday without Brent behind us things will HOPEFULLY smooth out and I can try to find "normal" again. (Whatever THAT is) LOL!
Before I go, I wanted to say how SWEET your tummy pictures are! I LOVED each and every one of them of you and your babies! You're such a sweet little mama and such a beautiful lady. It's a TREAT to get to see you with your babes.
Take care of yourself and have a great rest of the week??
LOVE YOU,
Tonya
PS.. I'm not mentioning any of my "family issues" on my blog because my parents may/may not be reading. =-)
(Just thought I'd throw that in there in case you responded to anything I said in the comment section. I wouldn't want them to know I'd said anything)
Oh, please know that I am lifting you and your family up and praying for all of you. I can only imagine how hard your dad's struggles are for all of you. May God be with all of you.
I loved the picture of your mom and the post about her! What an amazing lady.
All we can do is rely on the healing touch of God, pray each day for our hurts and make a difference in how we love and parent our own children. By today's standards I should be a crazy abusing alcoholic parent, but you know, only through the grace, salvation and touch of the spirit in my everyday life I am sober in Christ as a mother and wife. Sober in how I face each day. I pray for you and that love would pour from your spirit through knowing Christ as your Lord and Savior because we certainly know we can not do this on our own,. Love to you!!!
Even though I don't know you personally I have walked this road with you. I am praying for you today.
Post a Comment